Are you out of ideas for engaging supporters online? Try one of these tried and true digital engagement tactics to strengthen your relationships, move members to act, and build support for your programs and mission.
1) Try a Petition or Pledge
This is a bread-and-butter tactic for advocacy organizations, but lots of orgs can use this.
- A pledge to vote, not buy from puppy mills, or to go vegetarian for a day
- A petition to support or oppose legislation, policy, or funding
- Sign a happy birthday, get well, congratulations or thank you card (this one’s popular with politicians)
2) Ask For Their Vote
This can be an incredibly fun way to engage your audience, and with the right idea can work as an acquisition campaign.
- Pick the next cover of our magazine or calendar
- Pick a name for this puppy or artwork, or the location for the next symposium
- Vote for your favorite childhood toy, historical exhibit, or park
3) Test Their Knowledge With a Quiz
Admit it. You’ve taken one of those “What Are You?” quizzes on Facebook. People love to test their knowledge, or find out which “wild animal,” “diva” or “Disney character” they are. It’s light and fun!
- How much do you know about _____ (a historical figure or event, a place, or a disease)?
- Can you name this place, painter, author or advocate?
- Where in the world is this?
4) Ask For Feedback With A Survey
Surveys work work well after events, in a welcome series, or annually.
- How was your visit?
- How can we help?
- What are your priorities?
5) Unleash Creativity With a Photo or Video Contest
Here’s what I love about these contests. Supporters love to show off their creativity. Even though only a few people submit videos or photos, many more lurk and observe, and perhaps even share. And you get free content that you can use for other communications.
NOTE: Mind the rules — the laws governing giveaways and the promotional guidelines for each social network.
- Honor someone
- Support a cause with an unselfie
- Show us your favorite park, wildlife photo, architecture or playground
The universe of tools is enormous. What did I miss? Share your comments, favorite tools, and take on these tactics in the comments section.