Shame. Embarrassment. TERROR!
These are just three of the frightening emotions that email marketers have experienced after sending a mass email with a mistake.
Sometimes the mistake is harmless, like a small typo. Sometimes it?s a DOOZY, like misidentifying a donor, sending to the wrong list, or using inappropriate phrases as placeholder text (stupid headline here!).
One thing is certain ? press send enough times and you will make a mistake. Learn from it! Sometimes the oops email performs better than the original in terms of opens and click-throughs.
When to Send an Oops Email
- As soon as possible!
- When you have a
- Bad link
- Error in critical information (date, location, time, etc.)
- Landing pages or website doesn?t work
- Sending the wrong email to the wrong segment
- Really bad formatting
Remember to apologize, keep it short, and make sure the corrected information is clear.
36 ?Oops!” Subject Lines and Phrases
I searched my inbox to find subject lines and oops emails phrases you can use when this happens to you. (HINT: Scan you own inbox to see who?s apologized to you!)
- [Oops, we?re a bit late]
- [OOPS] I goofed! Corrected date.
- Corrected Date
- Corrected Link
- Corrected Tweets
- Corrected Version
- Oops – link fixed!
- Oops, a typo!
- Oops, a wee bug
- Oops: corrected link
- Oops! Our Mistake
- Oops! Site is live again and holiday card sale is extended!
- Oops! Sorry mobile users
- Oops! We Made a Mistake
- Oops! We meant to say
- Updates and Corrections
- Whoops! That was a mistake
- With Corrected Links
- Yikes! Corrected date
- An error in our system may have caused you to receive a confusing email from us. We have corrected the problem. Here?s the email you should have received.
- Dreadfully sorry about that
- Due to a slight hiccup
- Due to technical difficulties…
- Here is the correct information
- I really do apologize
- Many of you wrote to let me know that X wasn?t working
- Sorry for the confusion
- Uh oh! It seems our email system hit a technical glitch. We?ve fixed the issue now.
- We may have sent out an email with the wrong subject line. The message is still the same.
- We now have the corrected version on X
- We?re really sorry.
- We apologize for the mistake
- You just received an email that I didn?t mean to send you
Oops Further Reading
6 Clever Examples of ?Oops!? Emails
How to Recover from Email Mistakes (pdf)
Oops! Email Mistakes Happen
The Art of the ?Oops? – Email Mistakes and What To Do About Them
Handle Your Oops: 5 Types of Email Mistakes and How to Fix Them
Got an oops story of your own to share? Tell us all about it in the comments section.